Sit-ups and crunches not giving desired results anymore? Don’t worry; you can always opt for a tummy tuck surgery. Medically termed as Abdominoplasty, Tummy tuck is a surgical procedure that you may choose to undergo to remove excess fat and skin from the abdominal area (usually from the lower or middle abdomen).
People primarily do it to deal with saggy and loose abdominal skin post-pregnancy or lose weight in high numbers.
It is major surgery, so be sure to get straight with the procedure and side effects and get your head around the facts before proceeding with it.
To begin with, Abdominoplasty is generally categorized into two parts, partial tummy-tuck, and complete tummy-tuck. Partial tummy-tuck surgery takes about 1-2 hours, and complete tummy-tuck can choose a time between 1 to 5 hours.
Best Candidates for undergoing a tummy tuck procedure
Although both men and women can consider this surgery, Abdominoplasty is an ideal surgery for women who have gone through multiple pregnancies and might want to remove the excess skin and tighten the abdominal area muscles.
Also, men who were once obese could consider going through this to remove the excess fat and skin from the abdominal area.
Women who plan to get pregnant might want to postpone their plans for getting a tummy-tuck at least to the point where they get done with the pregnancy. Abdominoplasty tightens the vertical abdominal muscles, whose structure can be compromised if you go through pregnancy as they might get separated.
Also, if you’re planning on getting a significant weight loss, then too, you should not consider getting this surgery. Tummy-tuck, in every case, should be a last resort after you have tried other alternatives for weight loss.
1. Where will my tummy-tuck scar be located?
- The scar is usually between the belly button and pubis.
- Usually, being horizontal, the shape can be different forms of flat. It can be curved or zigzagged rather than a straight line.
- It can also be horizontal, depending on the type of tummy-tuck you get.
2. How long will the scar be?
There is no fixed length of the scar as it varies from person to person and their desired needs. However, it usually runs from hip to hip. Also, there can be a vertical scar, and there might be a need to reposition your navel for better alignment with your new contours. There can also be a few scars surrounding your navel, to achieve the desired alignment with the shape.
3. What are the ways to conceal tummy tuck scar?
Want to hide your tummy tuck scars? You might very well use a swimsuit bottom or even your undies! Also, it can be concealed below the beltline of the jeans. It is best advised to consult with your cosmetic surgeon first to get a better idea about the kind of tummy tuck that you can get to best suit your body and also which will be easy to hide.
4. Best ways to treat scars after a Tummy Tuck surgery
As obvious as it may sound, stick to the post-operative instructions that are provided by your cosmetic surgeon. There are other several methods and treatments that you can go through to get rid of the scars like:
- Healite II (if recommended you might be able to get it within two to four weeks post-surgery)
- Fraxel Laser (can be initiated anywhere between 8 to 12 weeks)
- Derma Pen (can be started between 10 to 12 weeks, exceptions may however exist)
- Laser Genesis
- Intense Pulsed Light (IPL treatments)
- Rapid Recovery Pack (Refer to your dermal clinician before using the given oils in the pack as different scars may need different care methods)
5. What are the other ways to treat your post-operative Tummy Tuck scars?
Some of the other ways by which you can treat your post-operative scars are as follows-
- LightStim– This is a kind of LED device that is portable and helps you to heal and minimize the scar.
- Strataderm (Silicone gel)
- Silicone Strips (Mepiform)
- Silicone Sheets
You can also use some topical skin lightening products, but only after consulting your cosmetic surgeon.
However, it is essential to choose an experienced and proficient cosmetic surgeon who can help you achieve the most desired result.