Everyone wants a flat tummy with flawless abs in the gym mirrors. Celebrities, social media influencers and fitness influencers promote a healthy lifestyle and have increased the level of fitness and its meaning.
While everyone is trying to maintain a clean diet and work out regularly, hitting their weekly and monthly targets, it is common not to see any instant visible results of your effort. You can consider undergoing liposuction surgery if you are searching for a procedure to get immediate results and minimal effort. Many celebrities and influencers have used liposuction to get the perfect body contour giving us primary fitness goals.
Liposuction is a medical procedure to get rid of stubborn body fat. However, any medical treatment comes with its side effects too. So, there are side effects of liposuction as well. Here we have described everything you need to know about liposuction side effects long term, details of the procedure, results, recovery time, etc., before deciding about it. So, let us know about the long term side effects of liposuction.
What is liposuction?
Liposuction is a cosmetic procedure which removes stubborn body fat from the body through a suction method. It is also known as lipoplasty, lipectomy, liposculpture suction and lipo.
Most liposuction is done for health purposes, but some opt for it for aesthetic procedures. Liposuction is a way to remove stubborn body fat, which would generally not respond to exercises and diets. Liposuction is usually done on the abdomen, thighs, calves, neck, chin, arms, etc., to redefine the body’s contour. However, it is a medical procedure; thus, liposuction surgery side effects also exist. Nevertheless, they are usually minimal and can be managed through medications.
How long do the results of liposuction last?
The results of the surgery are not visible immediately because of the swelling. Hence, to see the actual body contour, you would have to wait for the results of the surgery till the swelling has decreased; thus, instant results are not possible for this procedure.
The long term side effects of liposuction can take around 6 months to heal completely. You will notice slight changes and your newly acquired contour during this period.
How much weight can be lost through liposuction?
It is not possible to lose all the fat in one sitting. Therefore, liposuction is planned if a person needs to lose 6 to 8 pounds of fat. The surgery is planned with a few weeks gap to allow the body to heal and avoid any liposuction side effects long term. It is usually done at an interval of 3 to 4 weeks before the following liposuction.
Recovery from liposuction
The period of recovery varies from person to person. After The surgery, it is required to wear compression garments for one to two months to help recover. Antibiotics should be taken as prescribed.
What are the side effects of liposuction?
Liposuction side effects immediately after the surgery include sharp pain for a few days, which decreases. However, the pain felt when the surgery is done under general anaesthesia is more intense and needs pain medications. In any case, liposuction surgery side effects are minimal, but in others, it might take the wrong route. Here are some of the liposuction surgery side effects which you should be aware of:
- Body deformity: Improper fat removal can result in uneven skin with a wavy bumpy look. There are chances of skin damage due to the insertion of the cannula incorrectly leaving permanent spots, which is a long term side effect of liposuction.
- Fluid retention: Fluid under the pockets of the skin (seroma) can accumulate. Your doctor can drain it through a sterilised needle.
- Skin infection: There are cases of severe skin infection which can become life-threatening.
- Puncturing of internal organs: If the cannula is inserted under the skin improperly, it damages the internal organs, and immediate surgical repair must be done.
- Fat embolism: The cannula breaks down fat into small pieces, which can get trapped in the blood vessels and travel to the lungs or brain. Thus fat embolism is one of the liposuction surgery side effects and an immediate medical emergency.
- Kidney, lungs and heart issues: During liposuction, vast amounts of fluids are injected into the body, resulting in a sudden imbalance in the fluid levels. The kidney, lungs and brain are under pressure to balance the fluids.
- Lidocaine toxicity: Lidocaine is the anaesthesia used during liposuction. It is usually safe anaesthesia, but in rare cases of side effects of liposuction, it results in lidocaine toxicity resulting in severe heart and central nervous system disorders.
After having a complete overview of the long term side effects of liposuction, you can decide whether you want to undergo surgery or not. Then, you can get in touch with us at ALCS India and get an appointment with our doctors for a one-on-one consultation. They would explain everything and, after examining your condition, suggest if you’re the right candidate or not. So book your appointment at ALCS India now.