Most men and women suffer from the problem of hair loss. To get rid of it, individuals prefer different hair techniques and surgical methods to acquire healthy hair. Many hair transplant techniques involve collecting hair follicles from the donor site and further planting them to the recipient side. Most of the techniques are performed in a single session which lasts for 3 to 4 hours. On the other hand, complex surgeries take several sessions to execute the job correctly.
The transplanted hair begins to grow within the next 3 to 6 months after the hair transplant procedure. However, in rare cases, the transplanted hair follicles fail to nurture themselves in the new environment.
Now, after the procedure, there are several ways which promote the growth of transplanted hair follicles. The scars and bruises which take place due to the surgical operations being performed also need some healing. PRP treatment is an effective solution which facilitates hair growth and also minimizes scarring.
This article will talk about what PRP treatment is and its advantages after the hair transplant. This technique is used sequentially after the procedure to make your hair look healthier and better. PRP treatment is a solution which ensures that the newly transplanted follicles grow at a pace. It also helps in treating hair loss problems and prevents it from the roots.
- What is PRP?
PRP is defined as Platelet Rich Plasma which contains platelet concentrations higher than in the usual blood. Platelet Rich Plasma comes from the patient’s own body, and they donate these before the surgical operation is performed. Now we will talk about how PRP is made.
Since we know that PRP comes from the patient’s blood, there are specific steps involved in the whole process.
- At the initial step, the doctor draws the blood from the patient’s hand with a syringe.
- The tube which contains the blood drawn is kept in a centrifuge. After that, it keeps on rotating for some time.
- Now the red and white blood cells and platelets are rotated in a centrifuge. They are concentrated at various levels when stored in the tube. After that, the blood plasma, rich in platelets, is taken out from the appropriate area. It’s imperative to take platelet-rich plasma as it’s different from the normal plasma and contains 4 to 8 times higher platelets than the usual plasma. After a little more preparation, PRP is ready to inject.
- What are the uses of PRP during the hair transplantation process?
PRP is used in a hair transplantation technique at various levels.
- First, it strengthens weak donors and areas that are not appropriately transplanted and do not facilitate growth.
- It increases the level of graft yield rate of the transplanted hair follicles.
- It reduces the transactional graft rate.
- Heals donor areas from where the hair follicles are taken
- It also heals recipient areas where the hair follicles are transplanted.
- What are the various advantages of PRP after a hair transplant?
The numerous benefits of using PRP are listed below.
- Maintains the viability of hair follicles – The time between the doctor removes hair follicles from the donor area to transplanting into recipient areas must be well treated. This gap of time can destroy the hair follicles for many reasons. Some of them are as follows:
- Due to dehydration, when the donor area is not wet enough.
- During the transplantation period, the withdrawal of blood causes the nutrients and oxygen to starve. This results in the low flow of oxygen.
- Change in temperature due to the new follicular environment.
- Promote and enhance tissue repair and healing – PRP treatment also facilitates tissue repair and heals the injury after the procedure. It releases the platelet growth factors which encourages healing and repair. The reason why surgeons recommend PRP after the hair transplantation technique is to promote the below-mentioned factors.
- To enhance repair and healing.
- Minimize scarring and injuries
- Promotion of hair growth of the newly transplanted follicles
- To stimulate new hair growth after the treatment – PRP after the hair transplantation technique enhances and effectively stimulates hair growth. Platelet growth factors wake up the inactive hair follicles and facilitate new hair growth on your scalp. After the scarring, PRP is given to the patient to induce platelets which release various growth factors. In a few months, individuals start seeing results in their hair growth.