Gynecomastia is a condition in which breast tissues develop in males. Also known as man boobs, it is mainly due to an imbalance of the hormones, which results in a higher level of female hormone promoting breast development in males.
In males, the hormone testosterone is present, which stops the growth of mammary glands while oestrogen promotes it. In a healthy person, both of these are at an equilibrium. However, when the level of oestrogen increases without testosterone, it can result in gynecomastia. However, increased fat percentage and production can also result in fat deposition in the mammary glands and their body parts.
What are the causes of gynecomastia?
There are many factors which can result in gynecomastia. However, lifestyle factors such as excessive alcohol consumption, minimal physical activity, chronic diseases, ageing, and side effects of any other medication used are common reasons for gynecomastia.
The male sex hormone testosterone has a counter effect on the development of breast tissues. Conversely, the female hormones oestrogen and progesterone enhance breast development in the presence of growth hormone and insulin.
How to cure gynaecomastia naturally?
The only way to cure gynaecomastia naturally is by working on the underlying cause. Unfortunately, no specific supplements or medicines can treat gynecomastia naturally.
The Food and Drugs Administration (FDA) has not approved any medication which treats gynecomastia naturally. Hence do not fall prey to such false claims.
Change your lifestyle habits and include healthier and better alternatives to see results for natural gynecomastia treatment without surgery or drugs. Anyone with obesity would observe more fat deposition in the chest than others. A higher fat percentage in the body also results in a lower testosterone level, thereby increasing aromatase activity.
Here are some lifestyle changes to get rid of gynaecomastia:
- Reduce alcohol consumption
- Reduce stress levels in your daily life
- Have a sound sleep of at least 7 hours every day
- Include physical activity in your routine. Attest has moderate-intensity physical activity for 150 minutes a week.
- Do strength training for all the muscles and not spot training
- Have a balanced and nutritious meal
- Avoid refined and packaged food items
Here are some diet tips for natural gynecomastia treatment without surgery or drugs:
- Consume a balanced diet packed with all kinds of minerals and nutrients while having the proper ratio of proteins, carbohydrates and fats. Vitamins and minerals are crucial factors in the production of hormones; hence they will boost testosterone production, decrease the percentage of fat in the body, and treat gynecomastia naturally.
- Protein and micronutrients such as zinc and vitamin D are essential for testosterone production. Egg yolks, oysters and tuna are also known for enhancing the level of testosterone in the body, thus helping to treat gynecomastia naturally.
- Certain food items such as soy, legumes and liquorice roots produce a chemical known as a phytoestrogen. It is similar to oestrogen and mimics its mechanism. Reduce the consumption of these food items to have a better balance between testosterone and oestrogen levels in your body which would help to get rid of gynaecomastia.
- Mediterranean diet: It is a healthy and conscious eating diet in which the goal is to eat healthy food items and avoid any packaged processed food. While finding different ways for natural gynecomastia treatment without surgery or drugs indeed give the Mediterranean diet a chance.
Have an active physical routine. Include aerobic exercises, which would decrease the overall fat percentage. For example, you can include brisk walking, jogging, swimming, cycling, skipping, and other activities to get rid of gynaecomastia.
The results of any diet exercise plan would not be visible immediately. It takes around 8 weeks to get visible results. Hence be consistent in your effort.
When to see a doctor for gynecomastia?
Gynecomastia has no other symptoms other than the growth of the breast. However, it can affect one’s mental image about themselves. If you notice any nipple discharge or experience pain and swelling, visit a doctor. They would be able to tell ways for gynecomastia treatment without surgery and treat the underlying cause.
Here are some of the treatment methods involved in gynecomastia treatment:
- The doctor may prescribe medications for breast cancer as an off-label treatment for gynecomastia.
- They might reduce the dosage of any medication if they observe it is the cause of gynecomastia.
- Testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) in the form of injections, skin gels or patches can also be given to enhance testosterone levels in the body.
- Targeting the underlying cause, such as hypothyroidism or malnutrition, is helpful in improving the condition.
Thus, gynecomastia is caused by an imbalance between testosterone and oestrogen. All the factors affecting it can be controlled to cure gynaecomastia naturally by having a nutritious diet and exercise. However, if you feel an underlying condition, see the doctor for a thorough diagnosis and treatment.