Almost two-thirds of the total male population around the globe may experience pattern baldness in some way or the other by the time they reach their 30’s. If you are facing a hair fall as a young man, or you observe receding hairline as an older man, don’t panic or feel upset about the situation. There are various solutions to make the regrowth of hair happen. It is believed that losing up to 100 hairs a day can be considered normal, but once this number starts increasing it may indicate that it’s high time to consult a medical professional.
Types of hair loss
Different types of hair loss may appear for different reasons in different phases of life. Based on the type of hair loss that one experiences; the doctor suggests the most effective treatment. The different types of hair loss that a man may experience are stated below:
- Telogen effluvium: – A large number of hair follicles become dormant when hairs shift from the growing phase to telogen. In some cases, the hair may directly jump to the falling out phase abruptly. Conditions like this may occur as a result of excessive physical stress like after an illness, post-surgery, or due to severe weight loss, etc.
- Traumatic alopecia: – Can occur due to various reasons like stress, pulling or burning, etc. A psychological condition called trichotillomania (pulling out one’s hair) might contribute to the condition.
- Alopecia areata: – It is an auto-immune disease that attacks the body’s hair follicles and hinders the growth of hair. This particular condition may occur in a particular body part or all over the body.
- Androgenetic alopecia: – This is the most common concern, and popular as male pattern baldness which involves receding hairline and thinning hair.
Best ways for hair regrowth
A lot of products are advertised on the market for regrowth of hair, and some of them claim more ambitious or rarely achievable successes than others. Here is a list of treatments that are currently considered effective based on various studies on hair regrowth:
- Lifestyle influences:
Poor lifestyle choices may impact your hair more than you know. Inadequate diet, stress, poor hair care, and hairstyles, etc. are all conditions that may contribute to hair loss. The good news is most of these concerns can be resolved by incorporating some basic changes in your lifestyle.
Poor diet includes frequent intake of junk food, processed foods, etc. To solve this one should go for a balanced diet and also increase the number of foods enriched with vitamin A, vitamin D, and biotin.
Poor hair care and hairstyles include irregular hair wash routines, tight buns or ponytails as day-to-day hairstyle, etc. These need to be rectified.
If your reason is stress, then it’s always better to seek proper medical help to reduce toxic stress from your life as it’s of no good not only for hair but for most of the organs. Also, for someone suffering from trichotillomania, it’s advised to visit a mental health professional for help.
- Use of Medications and Supplements:
Effective medications for hair regrowth include oral and topical products like finasteride and Minoxidil respectively.
Finasteride reduces the levels of the hormone DHT. DHT is Dihydrotestosterone, an androgen that causes hair loss in male pattern baldness or androgenetic alopecia.
The daily intake of finasteride is known to reduce DHT levels by approximately 70 percent, which either stops or slows down the rate of androgenetic alopecia.
Minoxidil is apt to make a big visual difference by increasing thickness and can be trusted if you are suffering from thinning of hair.
Saw palmetto is another supplement that helps maintain DHT levels and proves effective when taken along with finasteride. Hence, it is also used as a shampoo ingredient besides biotin and other essential compounds.
- Other treatments:
Other treatments can include mechanical instruments like electric scalp massagers, laser combs, and helmets; they are less researched but have some potential in hair regrowth.
Although some products like rosemary oil and pumpkin seed oil show some results, the impact is not defined properly.
Since the results are not fully proven, medical professionals don’t suggest these other treatments.
You should indulge in these only after you have undergone the intake of medications and lifestyle changes and eliminated them as they proved futile solutions.
However, if none of the treatments proves effective for you, it is highly recommendable to undergo a hair transplant procedure that is considered one of the best and permanent solutions for hair loss.