Receding hairline especially among males aged above 45 is a widespread problem in India. It happens because of certain unhealthy food habits, abnormal genes and high-stress levels.
While in earlier times, people did not give much concern to extreme hair loss, today, the increasing insecurity and the high rise of beauty standards have made hair transplantation a popular option for people coming from all kinds of backgrounds.
As a result, the number of hair transplant surgeries that take place in India has gone up to approximately 3,50,000.
So if you are considering undergoing hair transplant surgery then it is important to understand the factors affecting its cost and the options available to choose from. That is why in this article we have covered everything that you need to know about hair transplant cost in India in 2023. Stay tuned to know more.
3 Factors Affecting Hair Transplant Costs
On average, the cost of a hair transplant in India starts at somewhere around ₹ 40,000 and can go up to ₹ 80,000 based on factors such as the complexity of the procedure and your individual requirements.
Here are the 3 main factors which influence the overall cost of hair transplants in India:
- Extent Of Baldness: Smaller bald patches on your head require less time of operation because of which their price will be lower than that required for treating severe baldness. Likewise, the higher the amount of hair that requires replacement, the higher the Hair transplant cost.
- Expertise Of The Surgeon: The qualifications, practical practising history, success rate, reputation Uncertain other certifications of the surgeon also influence the ultimate cost of hair transplant. Choosing a surgeon with more experience will likely cost you a higher amount.
- The Area Of Treatment: Working on the scalp is much easier than other body parts like the face since it requires a higher level of precision and the risk of complication is also comparatively higher. That is why a hair transplant that is done on the face costs more.
Types of Hair Transplants in India
The 3 primary types of hair transplants available in India are:
1. FUT (Follicular Unit Transplant)
FUT is also called the strip method. During the procedure, thin skin strips containing hair are removed from the sides and the back of your head (or donor’s head) and then they are carefully dissected and stitched on the area that requires hair transplant.
2. FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction)
The process of follicular unit extraction is pretty much similar to that of follicular unit transplant except the former makes use of individual hair strands instead of cutting out strips of skin from other areas of the body.
It allows quick healing and in comparison with FUT, the scarring is much less and even unnoticeable.
3. DHI (Direct Hair Implantation)
DHI is a straightforward and precise method that doesn’t require incisions. As a result, it not only enables quick and easy recovery but also produces more natural-looking and aesthetically pleasing results.
Cost Variation Across Different Cities
- Mumbai – ₹95,000 to ₹1,75,000
- Delhi – ₹40,000 to ₹2,40,000
- Bangalore – ₹40,000- ₹80,000
- Kolkata – ₹35,000 to ₹1,15,000
- Chennai – ₹35,000 – ₹2,65,000
- Hyderabad – ₹35,000 – ₹2,65,000
What Influences the Cost in Different Cities
- Demand And Competition: Hair transplantation is more common in metropolitan cities and areas with higher cases of complete hair loss. In such places, due to the increased demand, the competition among clinics is high resulting in elevated charges.
- Clinic Reputation: Any clinic that has an excellent reputation with an evident history of successful surgeries is likely to charge higher for their services because of the quality and expertise of the surgeons available there.
- Surgeon’s Expertise: The higher the amount of experience a surgeon has the more is going to be his fees.
- Technology And Equipment: There are a wide variety of surgical and diagnostic tools available in today’s era. Clinics that use expensive and the latest technology along with methods that require more effort and precision will certainly charge higher for the services.
Cost Breakdown for a Hair Transplant Procedure
- Pre-surgery consultation fees: While there are a few clinics offering free pre-surgery consultation, on average most Indian surgeons charge up to ₹2000 for it.
- Procedure cost per graft: The price of cost per graft depends on your individual situation and the type of surgery you opt for. The range starts at ₹25 and can rise up to ₹150 per graft.
- Post-operative care and medications: The average cost is ₹3,000 – ₹15,000.
Hidden Costs and Additional Expenses
Anesthesia Charges: Generally, anesthesia charges lie between
₹5,000 – ₹20,000 depending on the type of anaesthesia used by your surgeon.
Follow-Up Appointments: The average cost is ₹3,000 – ₹15,000.
Travel And Accommodation Expenses: These include the facilities which are provided by the hospitals so that you can stay comfortably there before, during and after your surgery for the time prescribed by your surgeon. The average cost for these lies between ₹5,000 to ₹30,000.
Financing Options for Hair Transplants
The availability of financing options varies according to the location of your clinic and certain individual factors. Common options include:
- Health Insurance Coverage: While health insurance coverage can help you to cut down the overall cost of your surgery, you have to first check whether your insurance covers cosmetic procedures because it depends on the type of plan you have taken.
- Medical Loans: If you are running tight on a budget then medical loans are a great option as they allow you to borrow money first and then repay later through small installments.
- EMI Options: EMI is one of the best options because it makes hair transplants more affordable as you have to pay only a small amount every month instead of paying a high amount at once.
ALCS, a well-reputed hair transplant clinic in Pune offers all the above three options along with expert surgeons to assist you in achieving your perfect hair goals.
All in all, while hair transplant surgery is now easily accessible and has become affordable over the years in India, it is important to understand the factors influencing its cost and analyze your budget to make an informed choice. Making comparisons of all available surgeons, the benefits that they offer and the financing options that they have can help you decide better and make the most out of your money.