Are you experiencing extreme hair loss issues and premature balding? Male pattern baldness or Androgenic Alopecia is one of the most common causes of hair loss that may also be acquired hereditarily. Now other reasons for hair loss may also include certain hormonal disbalance which makes the hair follicle shrink resulting in excessive hair shedding. However, hair loss as a result of male pattern baldness is distinguished by diminishing hairline around the crown without even affecting the sides and back of the head.
Men at any age find this condition extremely depressing as that highly affects their appearance and self-confidence as well. Several kinds of researches claim that approximately one-fourth of the male population is currently suffering from this condition where their average age is between 20 to 35 years. If you intend to get back your lost hair and self-esteem then seeking professional help is probably the best option. There are various hair loss treatments that can treat Androgenetic alopecia, but undergoing a Hair Transplant at a young age can be one of the best solutions to restore lost hair.
But there still lies a question; is hair transplant safe and permanent?
Is hair transplant permanent?
“Is hair transplant permanent?” is one of the most common questions that every man asks their dermatologist. The surgical hair restoration procedure is one of the most effective and safest hair restoration techniques in comparison to other treatment procedures and remedies. Hair transplant is a surgical hair restoration procedure that involves using hair follicles from the side and back of the scalp to the balding or recipient area. Once the hair follicles are implanted in the recipient area the transplanted hair grows just like normal hair. Each follicular units consist of a group of two to four hair follicles that are implanted on the scalp as tiny bundles of hair from the donor area to achieve a maximum possible natural appearance.
So the answer to the question “Is hair transplant permanent?” is YES. A hair transplant procedure provides permanent and natural-appearing results.
Types of hair transplant
Hair transplant procedure can be performed in two most common techniques-
- Follicular Unit Transplant (FUT)- This is one of the most traditional hair restoration procedure that involves removing a long skin strap from the back or sides of the scalp which is later on closed with an incision. This strip consists of numerous hair follicles that are dissected very carefully under high powered microscopes. Once the healthy hair follicles are obtained very carefully, they are implanted in the balding area to achieve the maximum possible natural appearance.
- Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE)- The FUE is the most common permanent hair plantation procedure that involves extracting hair follicles from the donor area which is mostly the back and sides of the scalp. The best part of this hair restoration procedure is that it involves no incisions and is a less invasive procedure. These extracted hair follicles are implanted in the recipient area which gives rise to hundreds and thousands of needle-sized holes. This procedure may take several hours for competition depending on the extent of hair loss and the number of hair follicles to be implanted.
However, in both of these procedures, patients can achieve the most natural-looking result even though that depends on the efficiency of your dermatologist. People undergoing the procedure must also follow the post-op instructions that are provided by the surgeon in order to avoid any possible risks and complications.
Cost of the hair transplant procedure
The permanent hair transplant cost varies on a number of factors, like-
- The extent of hair loss on the recipient area
- The number of hair follicles needed to cover the balding or hair thinning area
- The Anesthesia used
- The pre and post-op medications used for the patient
- Surgeon’s fees
- The geographic location of the clinics
People undergoing a hair transplant procedure must be aware that the result will last forever but patients must keep realistic expectations about the procedure they are undergoing. This surgical procedure may include some side effects like bleeding, infection, swelling and even scarring. To avoid all of it surgeons usually prescribe some antibiotics or other medications to relieve the condition. Losing some of the original hair strands is absolutely natural which may not be permanent and is popular as shock loss. Ultimately, the best decision is to consult an experienced doctor and decide what is best for you.