Hair fall in excess leads to hair loss which is a common issue faced by people all across the globe regardless of their age or gender. Hair fall problems are rising at an alarming rate, not just among middle-aged and elderly people but also among teenagers. Hence, following preventive hair fall tips are a must. Apart from that, there is also a need to take appropriate measures to stop hair loss. It will help you minimize your hair loss problems and thus aid in hair fall prevention.
To start with a hair fall prevention routine, you should first understand the reasons for hair fall. The primary reasons for hair fall are changes in lifestyle, overuse of chemical products, undergoing chemical treatments, increasing stress, lack of a hair care routine and external nourishment, and smoking and drinking. Understanding the causes of hair loss will enable you to prevent it and incorporate an appropriate hair care routine in your daily life.
Hair fall can be controlled if you follow the necessary hair loss prevention tips in its initial stages. Even hair fall treatment experts recommend that you get a hair loss treatment at an early stage to get the best results and have multiple treatment options. However, you can also get a cure for your hair loss problems even at a later stage with the help of the latest technologies.
Know About Hair Loss
Everyone loses about 50-100 hair daily. It is completely normal and healthy and even essential to promote new hair growth. But if you lose more hair than the stated number, you might be suffering from hair loss. Hair loss is the stage in which the pores on the scalp from which hair grows, called hair follicles, become dormant or dead. The dead or dormant hair follicles can be stimulated by hair transplant; if not, the situation ultimately leads to baldness.
Your hair fall might be due to several reasons. You should first undergo some scalp tests to identify the reason for your hair loss. After identifying the cause, you can be prescribed hair loss tips. The most common reasons for hair loss are listed below:
- Excessive stress: Stress is the most common reason for hair fall among teenagers and middle-aged people. Stress makes hair follicles go into their resting phase, causing hair loss. The affected hair falls out while combing or washing the hair.
- Smoking and drinking: Smoking or drinking too often can lead to poor blood circulation, restricting hair follicles from receiving proper nutrition. It ultimately results in hair fall.
- Hairstyling and chemical products: Many hair styling tools like hairdryers, hair straighteners, and curlers use heat to style the hair. High-temperature damages the hair making it brittle. Also, the chemical products used in hair styling products damage the hair, eventually causing hair loss.
- Lack of hair care routine: Hair requires internal and external nourishment to grow strong and healthy. The use of conditioners and hair masks are essential for strengthening the hair roots and promoting healthy hair. The modern-day busy schedule lacks a proper hair care routine and hence causes hair fall.
- Nutritional deficiency: An absence of a well-balanced diet causes a lack of nutrition, resulting in hair fall. Hair needs nutrition in order to grow healthy and strong. Taking a diet rich in vitamins, iron, zinc, and protein is essential for maintaining healthy hair.
- Side effects of medicines: Hair loss is also caused by some medicines taken for severe medical diseases like cancer and heart diseases. If you are prescribed such medicines, you must take counter medicines to minimize their side effects.
- Hormonal changes: A common cause of hair fall in women is hormonal changes. It occurs majorly during pregnancy or PCOS and causes hair loss. Doctors may prescribe suitable medication to minimize the impact of hormonal changes on hair growth.
While the factors mentioned above are the common causes of hair fall, it is necessary to undergo a scalp tests to identify the cause in your case. It is possible to cure hair fall completely only after identifying its causes.
10 Tips for Hair Loss Prevention
It is rightly said that prevention is better than cure. Thus, you should take appropriate measures for hair fall prevention. The following are a few hair loss prevention tips:
- Do not comb wet hair: Wet hair is more sensitive and prone to breakage. You should use your fingers or a wide-toothed comb to detangle your hair when it is wet. Also, do not rub your wet hair very rigorously as it may break easily and cause hair fall.
- Condition your hair: Your hair requires conditioning 1-2 times a week. It helps strengthen the hair roots and smoothening the hair, which reduces hair fall. You should condition your hair using natural products and conditioners.
- Trimming the hair: The tip of the hair might become rough and develop split ends over time. Trimming your hair every 5-6 months removes rough growth and promotes the growth of healthy, flawless hair.
- Regular oil massages: Oil strengthens the hair roots, and massaging the scalp helps in improving blood circulation. It aids in the hair follicles getting the required nutrients from the blood, ultimately reducing hair loss.
- Avoid tying the hair very tightly: Hairstyles that pull the hair tightly cause constant pressure, making them weak and prone to breakage. Therefore, such hairstyles should be avoided. You should make loose hairstyles that do not cause any tension on the scalp. Also, leave your hair loose for some time every day to prevent them from breaking.
- Reduce hairstyling using heat tools: Since hairstyling tools use a lot of heat, it majorly causes hair fall, and hence it is a must to reduce hairstyling. The use of heat protectants and conditioners when you engage in hairstyling helps minimize hair loss as much as possible.
- Use a mild shampoo: It is important to use a mild shampoo that suits your hair to prevent damage caused by harsh chemicals in the shampoo. Also, do not wash your hair too often nor very rarely to maintain healthy and strong hair.
- Use natural remedies: Natural ingredients such as amla juice, aloe vera gel, rice water, coconut oil, milk, and honey are good conditioners for the hair. Besides using them as conditioners, they can also be used as natural hair masks to strengthen the hair roots and boost hair growth.
- Take a healthy diet: It is important to take a well-balanced diet rich in protein to have healthy and nourished hair. All hair treatments and procedures will prove to be useless if you do not provide the hair with internal nutrition.
- Engage in a physical workout: Exercising every day also helps keep severe health ailments away that contribute to hair fall. Physical activities such as yoga and meditation help reduce stress and improve blood circulation, which is helpful for hair growth.
These tips should help you prevent hair fall and promote better hair growth. However, if your hair loss remains the same and results in balding, receding hairline or hair thinning, you should consider getting a hair transplant.