It is not unknown that hair transplant has become one of the top cosmetic surgeries today. All the major cities have resources available to perform the transplant surgery conveniently and successfully. If you look at the data from a few previous years, you will notice that the hair transplant industry has seen rapid growth in our country at competitive prices. It has led to the establishment of various reputed clinics with the latest hair transplant technology.
The hair transplant involves extracting hair follicles from the donor area with sufficient hair density and then transplanting them to the recipient area. Two primary hair transplant techniques are available; FUT and FUE hair transplant. Choosing the technique is one of the most important stages of the procedure. The hair transplant techniques involve the same fundamental procedure; the only difference between FUE and FUT is how grafts are harvested.
- FUT (Follicular Unit Transplantation) or Strip Transplantation: This hair transplant technique involves the extraction of a strip containing a large amount of follicle unit. The strip is then bisected further into the lab under a microscope. The extracted units are then implanted into the bald area. A trichophytic closure technique is used to close the donor area. The donor area heals with scarring without being noticeable.
- FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction): The FUE hair transplant technique involves extracting individual follicular units from the donor area. By assuming the direction of the hair root, the hair grafts are pulled and extracted through a punching surgical tool. The units are then implanted in the recipient area. To avoid scarring, each hair follicle is taken from a distance apart.
Deciding on which technique to choose can take time. Various factors such as age, scalp type and texture, location and size of the bald area determine the type of technique that will be suitable for you.
FUE vs FUT Hair Transplant
Let’s compare both hair transplant techniques to understand which would be better for you.
- Procedure: For the FUT transplant, a strip is extracted from the donor area from which follicular units are bisected later in the lab. On the other hand, in the FUE technique, each unit is extracted and then directly implanted in the desired area.
- Follicle Count: With an FUE hair transplant, a count of 2000 to 2500 hair follicle units can be extracted, but the FUT technology allows harvesting of 3000-3500 units. Thus for covering larger bald areas, FUT is preferred.
- Indications: For the facial hair transplant or initial phase of hair loss FUE technique is indicated. At the same time, FUT is indicated in extreme hair loss cases or for high-density hair transplants.
- Cost: FUE is generally time-consuming and needs to be performed very carefully; therefore, it is more expensive than the FUT technique.
- Scarring: Both techniques cause almost undetectable scarring. New hair transplant technology for FUT helps provide minor, easily concealable, linear scarring. Similarly, FUE grafts can be removed with almost undetectable circular scarring.
- Shaving: For the FUT technique, shaving can be avoided or done minimally, but for the FUE technique, it is compulsory.
- Damage Rate: FUT technique involves careful dissection of follicular units under high magnification; therefore, the roots are safe. However, for the FUE technique, the roots are pulled by assuming their direction and using a surgical punch tool; therefore, the damage rate is much higher.
- Time Required: FUE technique requires lesser time than FUT. Where FUE can be performed in 4 to 6 hours, FUT takes 5 to 8 hours.
This FUE vs FUT hair transplant provides a detailed comparison between both procedures. It helps to understand which hair transplant will be more suitable for you. However, before the surgery, various consultation sessions are organised with the surgeon to better understand the condition of the scalp, hair and desired results.
Which hair transplant technique is best?
The latest hair transplant technology has made getting effective and permanent outcomes from both FUE and FUT techniques easier. However, the technique should be chosen by the requirement. Not every patient will have the same technique performed similarly. Various factors influence the effectiveness and success of the hair transplant. Age, sex, quantity and quality of graft, degree of baldness, and hair density are some of the factors considered when choosing the type of hair transplant technique.
Hair loss can drastically impact one’s social, personal and professional life. So if you see the early signs of hair loss, it is best to start taking adequate steps. However, it has become evident there is no need to panic as a hair transplant in Jaipur by ALCS Clinic is one of the most effective. Our in-house surgeon, Dr Sunil Arora, has conducted various successful surgeries in his years of service. By adapting the latest hair transplant technology and technique ALCS Clinic has become one of the best in the industry. So book your appointment now!