Hair loss is a prevalent problem and most men and women suffer from it. It is not unusual to find several hair strands in your drain or on the floor. However, if the hair loss is significant, that’s where the worry begins. There are numerous reasons for hair loss and preventing those factors play a huge role in controlling hair fall. Let’s find out what leads to hair loss and how to encourage hair growth.
- What Causes Hair Loss?
Usually, people tend to lose around 100 hair strands in a day. It is not a concern as new hair strands grow at the same time. Hair loss becomes a problem when your hair follicles are destroyed and you don’t experience the growth of new hair on your scalp. Listed below are the factors that can lead to permanent hair loss and balding.
- Family inheritance: Hair loss, one of the main causes of baldness is hereditary. It triggers gradually with age and you start to experience hair thinning, and in turn, pattern baldness.
- Hormonal changes: Hormonal changes due to thyroid problems, menopause, pregnancy, and childbirth, may lead to hair loss. These changes may also cause alopecia areata which results in bald patches and scalp infections.
- Several medications: Some medicines have many side effects and cause hair loss problems. These medications may include blood thinners, antidepressants such as Zoloft and Prozac, acne treating medicines, beta-blockers, and more.
- Disease or surgery: A disease may also cause hair loss. If you have undergone a surgical operation, you can also experience significant hair loss.
- Styling: Harsh and tight hairstyles can weaken your roots and hair follicles. Do not use chemical products like dues, hot blowers, bleaches, etc as they can cause significant hair loss.
- Other reasons for hair loss include
- Mental stress and depression
- Certain hair radiation therapy
The medical term for hair loss is alopecia and both men and women experience this problem at some point in their lives. If you suffer from alopecia or hair loss, it’s important to address the underlying factors that cause hair loss.
- What Are The Risk Factors Of Hair Loss?
Did you know, you are at a high risk of experiencing hair loss due to the following factors?
- Your age
- Smoking habits
- Unhealthy hair treatments
- Family history of balding or pattern baldness
- Extreme stress and poor mental health
- Significant weight loss
- Certain medicines and prescription drugs
- Traumatic events in life
If you have been undergoing excessive hair loss, you might want to consider consulting with a doctor to detect the underlying cause and address them before it leads to complete baldness.
- How To Prevent Hair Loss?
There are several measures you can take to prevent hair loss and to promote new hair growth. Some of them are mentioned below.
- Changes In Your Diet And Nutrition
A balanced diet is vital to lead a healthy life. A poor diet that lacks nutrients and proteins, can weaken your immunity system and can cause hair loss. You must include the following in your diet.
- Vitamin C – Collagen is the connective tissue in hair follicles and vitamin C is a vital nutrient for collagen formation. You can include broccoli, strawberries, oranges, etc, in your diet plan.
- Vitamin B – promotes healthy metabolism and facilitates hair growth. Vegetables, avocado, beans, and nuts are very rich in vitamin B.
- Vitamin E – is rich in antioxidants which make your scalp healthier and fuller. You may include spinach, olive oil, sunflower seeds, and shrimps in your diet.
To promote hair growth and have healthy hair, you must include all the essential vitamins and iron in your diet.
- Stay Hydrated
Hydration is very important for the overall well-being and health of your body and hair. Men must drink at least 14 to 15 glasses of water a day, whereas women must aim for 11 to 12 glasses of water per day.
- Stress Management
Stress management is another important factor to consider that helps to prevent hair loss and promote hair growth. Exercising, meditation, spending time in nature, sleeping well, eating healthy diets, helps reduce stress.
- Medical Procedures To Facilitate Hair Growth
Medical treatments that help to prevent hair loss and avoid baldness include:
- Laser therapy
- Hair transplantation
- Platelet-rich plasma PRP
- Stem cell therapy
Experiencing healthy hair growth can help increase your confidence in addition to keeping your scalp healthy. If you are experiencing excessive hair loss or have a scalp problem, visit your healthcare provider immediately.