A hair transplant gives a new personality to a person. It enhances the person’s looks, and the new hair grows similar to the texture of the hair strands on the scalp. Undergoing a hair transplant is not the end of the journey to get beautiful hairs. You must take good care of your post-transplant hair strands.
A person should avoid a few things and take necessary precautions to make hair lustrous and shiny. Have a look at the list of precautions to be taken after a hair transplant.
10 Things to Avoid After Hair Transplant
- Hair dye: It is advisable not to colour your hair within four weeks of undergoing a hair transplant procedure. The harsh chemicals in the hair dye can damage the transplanted hair follicles and affect your desired result. You can try colouring your hair a few weeks before undergoing the hair restoration process.
- Scrubbing your hair or taking a shower: You should avoid getting a hair wash within 48 hours of the treatment. You can wash your hair gently after three days to prevent breakage of the hair follicles. You should also avoid rinsing your hair with hot water. Washing your hairs will impact the new patches of transplanted hair.
- Sleeping flat: You should avoid sleeping flat in the first week of getting a hair transplant. Lying flat may lead to swelling in your scalp. It would help if you tried to keep your head elevated at an angle of 45 degrees. It will prevent the buildup of any pressure around your implants. It is one of the essential precautions to be taken after a hair transplant.
- Not consuming enough water: Consuming enough water keeps you hydrated. Hydration plays a vital role in your recovery after the hair restoration process. You should try to aim to drink 10% extra water regularly to add to your recovery process. Ideally, you should take eight glasses of water in a day. If you forget to drink enough water, you can try downloading mobile apps. The app will notify you to drink enough water while you are awake.
- Applying ice directly to the scalp: You should avoid rubbing your hair for the first 72 hours of getting the treatment. Do not rub anything on your hair. It is advisable to touch your hairs gently after three days of undergoing the treatment. You should try to protect your restored hair from any damage. These precautions after a hair transplant will help you in getting shiny hair.
- Sleeping on the tummy: It is advisable not to let your new hairline rub against the pillow. If you have a habit of sleeping on your belly, you should avoid it for a few days.
- Driving: While undergoing the treatment, your surgeon might have given you sedatives to numb the area. The doses of sedatives are strong, and therefore it is recommended to not drive within 24 hours of undergoing the transplant.
- Ignoring the medicines: You should never forget your medication for a quick healing and recovery process post the procedure. You should take antibiotics according to the prescription to avoid any infection. You should have your prescribed drugs at the time mentioned in your prescription. Following these steps and taking the necessary precautions after a hair transplant will give you better results.
- The ice therapy: If, after the hair restoration process, you feel any kind of swelling in your scalp, try applying ice cubes just above your eyebrows. It is an excellent method to avoid swelling. Rub the ice for 20-30 minutes to reduce the puffiness and swelling.
- The assumption on hair fallout: Hair fallout is a normal process. If you witness fallouts in a few weeks after getting the transplant, do not panic. In the next three months, your hair will grow back healthier and shinier. Hair shedding does not mean that you have weak hair follicles. It is a natural process of the hair growth cycle. The precautions after a hair transplant will help in the healing of the scalp.
These are some of the steps you can follow to restore your lost hair. These precautions after hair transplant surgery will give you bouncy, shiny, and healthy hair. If you are witnessing a hair fall and are thinking of undergoing a hair restoration process, you can consider booking an appointment with Dr Sunil Arora at ALCS Clinic today!