Hair transplantation is a surgery performed to move hair follicles from an affluent hair site to the bald area. Generally, the hair is extracted from the back or side of the head. The procedure is performed by a surgeon in the medical office under local anaesthesia.
Pattern baldness is the chief cause of hair loss which is generally related to genetics. However, there are other causes of hair loss too, such as:
- Hormonal Imbalance
Hair fall might be possible if you have any of the symptoms mentioned above. So you might want to get in touch with Dr Sunil Arora at ALCS India, as he is among the country’s best cosmetic and plastic surgeons.
What happens during a hair transplant procedure?
The scalp is thoroughly cleaned for the hair transplant procedure, and then a tiny needle with local anaesthesia is administered to numb the area.
Two hair transplant techniques are available to obtain the hair follicles for transplantation: FUT and FUE.
- Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT): The FUT hair transplant technique involves the following steps:
- Surgeons use a scalpel to cut off a strip of inches long from the back of the head where there is hair.
- The incision is closed with stitches.
- The strip is then separated into several small sections by using a magnifying lens and sharp surgical knife.
- These sections are implanted on the bald area, which grows and gives natural-looking hair.
- Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE): FUE hair transplantation is done in the following steps:
- The hair follicles are extracted from a hair-affluent site like the back or side of the head using hundreds of tiny punch incisions.
- The surgeon makes tiny holes on the scalp that receives the hair transplant using a blade or needle.
- The hair is then gently placed in these tiny holes. Hundreds of thousands of hair can be inserted in one session.
- The scalp is then covered using graft, gauze, or bandages.
The hair transplant technique can take 4 hours or more to be completed. The bandages are generally removed after 10 days of the surgery. To get the hair transplantation done for complete hair, you may require 3 to 4 sessions. Each session occurs several months apart to allow the area to heal properly.
Want to get a hair transplantation done? Then visit the ALCS clinic in Jaipur now. Dr Sunil Arora, with his skilled medical staff, is known to be one of the top surgeons. He has years of experience and can help you get effective and safe hair transplants.
What happens after a hair transplant is done?
After the hair transplantation is done, your scalp may become sore. Moreover, your doctor may prescribe you some medications after the hair transplantation is done, such as:
- Pain Medication
- Antibiotics to avoid infection
- Anti-inflammatory medications to reduce swelling
A few days after the hair transplant is done, you can return to your work. Above all, it is normal to experience hair fall 2 to 3 weeks after the procedure because it leads to new hair growth.
Most people can see the growth of new hair after 8 to 12 weeks of a hair transplant procedure.
What are the risks associated with the hair transplant process?
Side effects of hair transplants are generally minor and fade away in a few weeks. Some of them are:
- Lack of sensation
- Inflammation or hair follicle infection
- Unnatural-looking tufts of hair
- Swelling of scalp
- Bruising around eyes
- Crust forms around the transplanted or donor area
When performed by an experienced surgeon, all these complications can be easily mitigated. Moreover, it is also essential to follow all the precautionary tips recommended by your doctor after the surgery. Looking for a clinic to get a hair transplant? Then book an appointment now at ALCS Clinic and get safe treatment.
What is the long-term result of the hair transplant process?
People who undergo hair transplants will continue to have their hair grown in the transplanted area. The density of new hair depends on:
- Scalp laxity, i.e. how loose your scalp is.
- The density of follicles in the transplanted area.
- Hair calibre
- Hair curl
You may experience hair loss in a non-treated area if you don’t take medicine or undergo laser therapy. Therefore, discussing your desired results and possible outcomes with a doctor beforehand is vital.